Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Othello #1: Iago's Motives

In Act I of Othello the reader is introduced to Iago and some of his schemes. Also, given that Othello is a tragedy and Iago is presented as the scheming villain, one could logically assume based on the information presented in Act I that the coming deaths in this tragedy will be set forth by Iago and his plans. Iago brings Roderigo to tell Brabantio about Othello and Desdemona's elopement and he conveniently leaves Brabantio and Roderigo to join Othello and warn him of the coming mob. However, before any of this happens Iago speaks about his anger towards Othello and gives some insight into why he will do what he does. While speaking with Roderigo, Othello says:
"I know my price, I am worth no worse a place ... Forsooth, a great arithmetician, / One Michael Cassio, a Florentine, ...That never set a squadron in the field, / Nor the division of a battle knows / More than a spinster ... Mere prattle without practice / Is all his soldiership. But he, sir, had th' election; / And I, of whom his eyes had seen the proof / At Rhodes, at Cyprus, and on other grounds / Christened and heathen, must be beleed and / calmed / By debitor and creditor. This countercaster, / He, in good time, must his lieutenant be. / And I God bless the mark, his Moorship's ancient" (I. i. 12-35).
Iago is extremely angry at Othello for choosing Cassio to be lieutenant rather than him. Iago feels that he is much more deserving than Cassio and that he has actually proved himself in battle, as opposed to Cassio. Othello passing over Iago for the lieutenant position seems to be the main source of all of Iago's anger which inspires his future actions. However, during his soliloquy that ends Act I, scene iii, Iago introduces another motive for his actions. He says, "I hate the Moor, / And it is thought abroad that 'twixt my sheets / 'Has done my office. I know not if 't be true, / But I, for mere suspicion in that kind, / Will do as if surety" (I. iii. 429-433). Iago is aware of rumors that Othello slept with his wife and although he does not know if they are true, since he is already angry at the Moor, he has decided to operate under the assumption that the rumors are true. If one adds together the anger of being passed over for the important assignment of lieutenant with the anger of Othello sleeping with his wife, it can be understood why Iago is scheming to cause Othello pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment